We often use loopholes to justify breaking our good habits. A popular loophole is the Lack of Control Loophole. We argue that we don’t have control over the situation, and circumstances have forced us to break a habit. However, we usually have more control than we admit.
- Someone brought bagels to the meeting, so I had to eat them.
- Traffic always makes me late.
- These chips have been specially engineered by the food industry to be irresistible.
- My kids take up all my time.
- We opened a bottle of wine, so we have to finish it.