The opposite of a profound truth is also true, and often, the search for happiness means embracing both sides of a contradiction. “Begin now” and “Wait.” “Keep an empty shelf” and “Keep a junk drawer.” “Accept myself” and “Expect more from myself.”
- It’s very hard to make things easier.
- Material desires have a spiritual aspect.
- Hell is other people. Heaven is ofver people.
- Things often get harder before they get easer.
- What we assume will be temporary often becomes permanent; what we assume is permanent often proves temporary.
- It’s easier to keep up than to catch up.
- Always say hello.
- Never let your car’s gas level fall into the “empty” zone.
- Bring a sweater.
- Just because something is fun for someone else doesn’t make it fun for you— and vice versa.
- Soap and water remove most stains.
- We’re more like other people than we suppose, and we’reless like other people than we suppose.
Most decisions don’t require extensive research
— Gretchen Rubin